Useful things, that’s what I’m doing.
Actually, I really am — putting in a modest amount of overtime at the day job, building fake pastry and potato heads and skull caps for the design gig, not dying in a yoga class that is NOT BEGINNER I DON’T CARE WHAT YOU SAY. This week I went to class with my extra-thick mat, gloves with gel padding to ease wrist strain, and homemade knee pads because apparently my size 18-20 above knee area is just too big for commercial pads? The fuck? Next time I’m adding a mini mat made specifically to help knees and whatever else touches the floor with weight on it (do nobody else’s hips dig in when you’re doing happy baby? Just me? Great). By next month I’ll probably just be rolling my body in bubble wrap, except then I’ll overheat.
ANYWAY, I also went to IKEA with friends last Sunday for a wee sad birthday celebration, and actually I highly recommend it. $1.99 for a full breakfast with lingonberry crepes, endless entertaining home goods to fondle, enabling bitches who think you should buy a $100 mini wingback chair for your cat who will certainly prefer the box – what’s not to love?
But I did totes want that cute wee chair for Mooch. But I know cats, and even if I wanted to blow $100 on a cute photo prop, spending that kind of money is how you make sure he will either never sit on it or immediately destroy it.
Happily, I have rudimentary upholstery skills and a whole bunch of crap sitting around my tiny apartment.
I am probably going to add tiny legs because, whatever, I’m in this deep. So far, maybe 3-4 hours of fun and all stuff I had on hand, so yay! Caveat: If you just thought ‘ooh, I’ll get Nara to make one for me’, nope. I’ll explain how I did it, which is mostly by the seat of my pants, but foam, upholstery fabric, and my time all cost money. Two of those things are EXPENSIVE. You would be far better off to just shop around for a kid’s chair. I’ll bet they turn up at thrift stores and garage sales pretty regularly.
I know what you’re thinking: does my adorable house panther actually use the damn thing? I have seen fuzzy evidence that he’s been in it while I’m at work, but I haven’t caught him, so I got out the catnip spray.
Places to buy stuff!
- TEEPUBLIC: mostly t-shirts, a few other products. Watch for sales, when shirts drop from $20 to $14!
- REDBUBBLE: Just, I don’t know, a ton of different stuff. T-shirts are more expensive than Teepublic, but there are a lot more options.
- AMAZON: 2 colouring books, and now, a nearly-complete cartoon collection! (Till I draw more.)
- ETSY: beaded jewelry, bags of creepy tiny dolls, and The Neurotic Owl Tarot
Did I miss something? I think that’s everything.
What’s making me happy this week:
- Did you ever try spin drying your hand-washed period panties in a salad spinner? It works really, really well. Also, here’s betting next time I offer someone salad at my house they decline.